The Easter weekend saw all three West Yorkshire sides win one of their games, in what was a mixed, but generally good, weekend for the sides in action from West Yorkshire.

Leeds United played twice in three days, and won the first of these games with a fantastic goal from Ross McCormack, as they won 1-0 away at struggling Barnsley. The game lacked any real quality, but McCormack’s goal on 16 minutes was worthy of winning any game. The Leeds captain, produced an outstanding turn to beat a Barnsley defender on the edge of the box, before firing the ball past Luke Steele to score what turned out to be the only goal of the game. Both sides had chances after that, but never really threatened, and McCormack’s goal won the game for Leeds.

Monday saw Leeds lose 2-0 at Nottingham Forest, with Matt Derbyshire’s brace the difference between the two sides. Leeds got off to the worst possible start after just 91 seconds, when Stephen McLaughlin’s pass found Derbyshire, who fired past Jack Butland to give the hosts the lead. Derbyshire doubled Forest’s lead on 16 minutes, when Scott Wootton failed to clear, leading to Derbyshire finishing comfortably once again. That goal really knocked the stuffing out of the visitors, and apart from a Ross McCormack free-kick that sailed narrowly wide, Leeds never really looked like getting back into the game, and defeat sees them sit 16th in the Championship.

Huddersfield Town drew 1-1 on Friday at home to play-off chasing Brighton. Oliver Norwood got the hosts off to a great start on 6 minutes, when his 25-yard free kick was simply too good for Brighton keeper Tomasz Kuszczak. Both sides had chances to score, with Brighton’s Leo Ulloa having a goal ruled out for a foul. Norwood had another free-kick saved, but Huddersfield couldn’t put the game to bed, and this came back to haunt them on 83 minutes, when the visitors equalised. A Brighton free-kick was pumped into the box, and a defensive error left Bruno free at the back post, to equalise, and 1-1 was how the game finished.

Monday saw Town break out of their horrendous run of form, as they beat struggling Yeovil 2-1. Town were lucky to go into the break level, with Yeovil having several chances to score, but being unable to find the net. Huddersfield took the lead in the 69th minute, however, when a swift counter-attack led to Adam Hammill firing a ball into the box, for Nahki Wells to score online casino canada from very close range. Yeovil were back on level terms four minutes later, however, when Tom Lawrence’s free-kick found the back of the net. Huddersfield were to take all three points home, however, when Adam Clayton’s strike went in, in the 7th minute of added time.

Bradford City produced a fantastic performance to beat Peterborough 1-0 on Friday night. Adam Reach’s free kick on 26 minutes proved to be the difference between the two sides, when his effort found the top corner of the net. Peterborough were reduced to ten men just before half time, when Shaun Brisley was sent off for two bookable offences in the space of two minutes. Britt Assombalonga was kept very quiet by Andrew Davies, and was reduced to a couple of scuffed attempts. Jon McLaughlan pulled off a couple of good saves at the end, to give Bradford their fourth clean sheet in 5 games.

The Bantams lost 1-0 at Swindon on Monday, in a reasonably low-key game. Gary Jones’s free kick was the closest that Bradford came to scoring, as they could only muster two shots in the whole game. Lee Cox scored in the 64th minute to give Swindon the lead, and 1-0 was how the score ended. Defeat for Bradford sees them sit 14th in the League One table.

About Author