For teams to drive opponents backwards, a high-pressure, high-volume passing attack is often needed to keep opponents chasing games, putting the attacking team on the front foot so-to-speak. Here are the top 5 most accurate passing teams in the Championship.
- Derby – 83.60% passing accuracy
- Brentford – 82.20% passing accuracy
- Hull – 80.20% passing accuracy
- Middlesbrough – 79.60% passing accuracy
- Milton Keynes Dons – 78.30% passing accuracy.
- LOWEST passing accuracy – Ipswich 59.5%
Highest percentage of shots on target
You can shoot all night long but if you can’t get the ball on target, you don’t score the goals and you eventually lose games. Here are the top 5 teams with highest percentage of shots on target in the Championship
- Bristol City – 47.50% shots on target (40 shots – 19 on target)
- Ipswich – 44.45% shots on target (45 shots – 20 on target)
- QPR – 42.55% shots on target (47 shots – 20 on target)
- Sheffield Wednesday 41.70% shots on target (24 shots – 10 on target)
- Burnley – 40.55% shots on target (37 shots – 15 on target)
- LOWEST shooting accuracy – Bolton 21% (38 shots – 8 on target)
Best conversion %age – goals from shots on target
As well as getting that ball on target, teams have to score. Luck comes in here but so does skill and placement. Here are the top 5 teams with the highest percentage of shots ending as goals.
- Birmingham – 57.15% conversion rate (4 goals from 7 on target shots)
- Brentford – 55.55% conversion rate (5 goals from 9 on target shots)
- Milton Keynes Dons – 44.45% conversion rate (4 goals from 9 on target shots)
- Middlesbrough – 44.45% conversion rate (4 goals from 9 on target shots)
- Leeds United – 37.50% conversion rate (3 goals from 8 on target shots)
- LOWEST conversion rate – Bolton Wanderers 0% (0 goals from 8 on target shots)
Best tackle success rate
If you’re having to defend a lot due to opponent pressure, or even if you tackle opponents out of the game as you ride a wave of victory, it pays to have players throughout the team who stop their man. Here are the top 5 teams ranked on percentage of successful tackles.
- Blackburn Rovers 90% tackle success (50 attempted tackles; 45 successful tackles)
- Leeds United 87.30% tackle success (55 attempted tackles; 48 successful tackles)
- Charlton Athletic 83.75% tackle success (80 attempted tackles; 67 successful tackles)
- Ipswich Town 83.35% tackle success (54 attempted tackles; 45 successful tackles)
- Middlesbrough 80.65% tackle success (62 attempted tackles; 50 successful tackles)
- LOWEST tackle success MK Dons 59.50% tackle success (74 attempted tackles; 44 successful tackles)
Best save success % from on target shots
The defensive line crumbles, the back four are in disarray, the opponents are through and on goal. The only hope left is your keeper, will he be able to pull off the save that keeps you in the game? These are the top 5 teams ranked by saves against opposition on-target shots.
- Preston North End 100% save success (2 saves from 2 on target opposition shots)
- Nottingham Forest 84.60% save success (11 saves from 13 on target opposition shots)
- Milton Keynes Dons 83.30% save success (10 saves from 12 on target opposition shots)
- Charlton Athletic 81.10% save success (9 saves from 11 on target opposition shots)
- Brighton 81.10% save success (9 saves from 11 on target opposition shots)
- LOWEST save success Bristol City 41.65% (5 saves from 12 on target opposition shots)
Main stats derived from WhoScored.com Championship team statistics
Stats for on target opponent shots courtesy of Foot Charts