Goalkeeper: Karl Wills – Warrington Town 

An immense defensive display earned the lowest ranked team in the FA Cup a place in round two after holding onto a 1-0 lead against Exeter City. A display that may not have happened without Wills between the posts.

Over the 90-minutes the keeper faced 26 shots and dealt with 16 corners as the League Two side piled on the pressure. To have faced that many shots without conceding, and to control your box from so many corners points to an impressive display.

A string of late blocks secured the win for the side from the eighth tier of English football.

Defence: Tendayi Darikwa – Chesterfield

You may be thinking that Darikwa does not deserve a place in the best XI of round one. Well done, you kept a clean sheet against a team from the Conference, whoopy doo! But, Tendayi is in here for his contributions at the other end.

The tricky full-back racked up two assists in the match. Supplying goals for Gary Roberts and Sam Clucas. The 22-year-old continued to be a constant menace going forward, and was involved in nearly everything good for Chesterfield.

The carrying out of his defensive duties just put the icing on the cake as it were, and secured a 6-0 scoreline and a place in the hat for the second round.

Defence: Craig Robinson – Warrington Town

Another hero from the Warrington Town cupsetters who overcame League Two Exeter 1-0, thanks to a goal from Mr Robinson.

But the goal, as crucial as it was, was merely a side note for what was nothing short of an heroic, and sacrificial defensive display. As the Exeter pressure mounted, Robinson’s testosterone levels appeared to go through the roof as he threw himself in the way of everything the League Two side had.

The fact that Robinson helped in keeping a side with 78 per cent of possession quiet is impressive enough without all that other stuff. The 16 corners accumulated by the away side were all easily nodded away by Robinson or one of his defensive partners.

Defence: Christian Burgess – Peterborough United

Out of what was  a pretty awful game shone at least one glowing performance. Burgess netted twice in Peterborough’s 2-1 win over League Two strugglers Carlisle.

Despite conceding an early goal after a mix up between Bostwick, Smith and goalkeeper Ben Alnwick, Burgess drove Posh forward and equalised just before half-time, heading home a Joe Newell corner. The 21-year-old had to wait until the 91st minute to get his second, looping a monumental header over the keeper after Michael Smith’s hopeful lump back into the Carlisle area.

Midfield: Rob Ramshaw – Gateshead 

The inform midfielder netted a hat trick as Gateshead eliminated fellow non-league opponents Norton United, and even had two goals disallowed.

The first of his goals arrived on the 39th minute, heading past Danny Roberts. The second came two minutes later, after Roberts could only parry a shot, before Ramshaw slotted home cooly.

The hat trick was complete on the 74th minute. A superb header was too accurate for Roberts within the Norton goal, as the ball nestled in the net to give The Heed a 4-0 victory.

Midfield: Sean Geddes – Worcester

Two goals from the midfielder gave Worcester one of the biggest results in their history as they knocked out former FA Cup winners Coventry City at the Ricoh.

Geddes’ first came courtesy of a penalty after Coventry’s goalkeeper Burge felt he was tripped by a Worcester man. The keeper lost his cool and kicked out, receiving a red card in the process. Geddes made no mistake from the spot, keeping his cool to power past the substitute goalkeeper Allsop.

Daylight was put between the two teams early in the second half as Geddes again powered past Allsop from the edge of the box to give Worcester a two goal lead, and to send the travelling fans delirious.

Midfield: Gary Roberts – Chesterfield

Despite on registering a solitary goal in a 6-0 win (I’m sure he’ll get over it) Roberts was Chesterfields stand-out player.

The 30-year-old was a constant creative threat. Spraying passes left right and centre, Roberts created numerous chances for his team mates, before taking one of his own just before the hour mark.

The former Huddersfield and Swindon man collected a pass form Darikwa and fired a sublime left-footed strike past the despairing goalkeeper and into the net.

Midfield: Jonathan Franks – Hartlepool United

The 24-year-old winger put in a superb individual dipslay as he sent Hartlepool into round two with a brace against East Thurrock United.

His first was a strike of real quality as he picked collected the ball and hit it from 25-yards into the bottom corner, giving the poor goalkeeper no chance what so ever.

His second arrived four minutes from the end of the 90. Not quite as good as his first, but, to use the old cliche, they all count! The former Middlesbrough man nodded home on the lone at the defence failed to deal with a cross.

Forward: Sam Winnall – Barnsley 

Another brilliant performance from the inform Sam Winnall meant Barnsley avoided a potentially difficult tie against League Two promotion favourites Burton Albion.

Winnall contributed a respectable three goals in a 5-0 win. All three were goals that strikers love to score. The scruffy mixed with the clinical. Winnall’s first was poked home after a mellay ensued in the Burton area.

His second was a well struck finish into the corner form the edge of the box. For his hat-trick, Winnall decided to play a one two with the post following Hourihane’s free-kick and slotted home at the second attempt.

Forward: Byron Harrison – Cheltenham Town

Harrison’s hat-trick helped secure a monumental 5-0 win against their local, and superior (in terms of league place) rivals Swindon Town.

Again, like Winnall, this was a real striker’s hat-trick. The first of the 27-year-old’s treble was a tap-in after Trevor Carson’s cross. His second was again from very-close range, as he fired home after Craig Braham-Barrett’s assist.

And Harrison’s hat-trick goal came in the 84th minute, finishing from close range. Again.

Forward: Callum Robinson – Preston North End

Robinson makes it a hat-trick of hat-trick scorers up front. His well taken treble earning Preston a 3-0 win over Havant and Waterlooville.

The first arrived just seven minutes into the game, as Robinson took his time and finished past the keeper at his near post. The second was a brilliantly placed volleyed flick after a Paul Gallagher cross.

The hat-trick was completed ten minutes from time, after the 19-year-old’s shot was blocked by the hand of Warren Cummings. The ref judged it to be deliberate, and Cummings saw red. Robinson stepped up, and secured Preston a place in the second round draw, himself a hat-trick, and a new ball to play with.
Author: @chandlerlouie


About Author

Louie is a massive Peterborough United supporter, and all round football fan, who is currently studying English Literature, History and Psychology. He has ambitions of becoming a successful journalist, a course he hopes to pursue at University. Twitter - @chandlerlouie

Leave A Reply