Presenting the inside scoop on the latest Football League news

FA Cup draws U’s at Wealdstone

In Monday’s FA Cup First Round Proper Draw, Colchester United were drawn away to Vanarama National League South side Wealdstone.

The match will be played on the weekend of the 8th/9th November, after this Saturday’s trip to Doncaster Rovers.

Wealdstone is a talking point for many fans, as the two sides will be meeting for the third time but numerous players have appeared for either side.

They first met in the FA Cup in 1949 at Lower Mead against Wealdstone in the fourth qualifying round, a game which the U’s lost 1-0. They then met 34 years later as the Stones visitors travelled to Essex to play the U’s at Layer Road in the Second Round Proper which the U’s ran away as 4-0 winners, a win which earned them a tie against Swansea City.

The U’s currently have Marvin Sordell, a player who was previously with the Stones on loan from Watford. The 24-year-old joined then Isthmian League Premier Division side Wealdstone in November 2008, making his debut in the FA Trophy against Tiverton Town. He scored his first – of two goals – after just thirty seconds in the league match against Maidstone United.

Another player who returns to his old employers is U’s winger Gavin Massey. The pacey winger appeared for Watford in their pre-season friendly against the Stones in July 2010, before leaving the Hornets on loan to Wealdstone, replacing Sordell in the 3-2 win over Maidstone United that Sordell scored his first goal for the Stones.

Wealdstone also have had a number of ex-Colchester players come through their ranks such as 41-year-old Scott McGleish who came on as an 89th minute substitute against Bognor Regis in the Stones’ 4-1 win in the fourth qualifying round.

Despite the U’s being firm favourites for this tie Wealdstone could certainly put up a fight, just like the U’s local rivals Chelmsford City did back in the 2012 FA Cup 1st Round. The Clarets, fighting their trade in the Conference South, hosted the tie at a sell-out Melbourne Stadium and ran the U’s – then managed by Joe Dunne – riot by winning 3-1, Michael Rose scoring the U’s consolation goal from a free-kick.

It will certainly be tough for the Stones who have reached the FA Cup 1st Round only once since 2009 when they lost 3-2 to Rotherham United. But who knows, it’s the magic of the FA Cup and anything could happen.

Statistics come courtesy of Graeson Laitt.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Previous Article

Embleton dismisses Swindon manager link

Next Article

Austin says he won't leave QPR in January

Related Posts