Chris Cadden – Assistant Sports Editor with The Sun – has claimed on Twitter that newly-promoted Charlton Athletic are set to win the chase for Leyton Orient’s 23-goal hotshot Macauley Bonne, with a number of Championship and League One sides having been credited with interest.
As any striker would be after bagging 23 goals in 46 goals and helping fire their club to promotion, Leyton Orient striker Macauley Bonne has been heavily linked with a move to a number of Championship and League One clubs.
Now, however, it has been claimed that the striker has agreed a deal to join newly-promoted Charlton Athletic, with the striker set to complete a move on a four-year deal on Monday morning. That is according to The Sun’s Chris Cadden, who said this on Sunday night:
Told Charlton are signing striker Macauley Bonne from Leyton Orient for £200k in the morning. Four-year deal.
— Phil Cadden (@pjcadden) June 16, 2019
As mentioned before, Bonne’s signature has been highly sought after since the end of the season. Championship duo Middlesbrough and Sheffield Wednesday were linked with a move for the 23-year-old last month, and League One side Sunderland have also been credited with interest in the striker. Premier League outfit Leicester City were even linked with a move for the Orient striker.
Bonne has enjoyed a highly successful spell with Leyton Orient since joining the club in the summer of 2017. As well as his 23 goals and four assists this season, the Jamaican striker netted 22 goals in 45 games last campaign, laying on five assists along the way as well.
Bonne will be a sore miss for Leyton Orient should he make the move to Charlton, and Orient fans will be forgiven for wanting more than the proposed £200,000 for the striker.