Millwall scored in the 95th minute to claim a vital point in their battle against relegation at Bramall Lane.

There was drama as the hosts looked set to claim all three points after Ben Marshall hit the bar with a penalty after John Egan saw red for handball on the line.

Neil Harris made two changes to the side that drew 0-0 with QPR on Wednesday. Conor McLaughlin and Shane Ferguson came into the side for James Meredith and Ben Marshall. Millwall lined up in a 3-5-2 formation with Ferguson and Mahlon Romeo as wing -backs with Jed Wallace partnering Lee Gregory up front. 

Millwall had the games first opportunity. Jed Wallace forced a corner, from that corner, former Blade Ryan Leonard poked wide. Chris Wilder’s side were dealt an injury blow after 20 minutes when Chris Basham was forced off, he was replaced by Gary Madine. Just before that Jack O’Connell should have put the Blades in front. A lovely ball from the right was floated in and O’Connell’s header was wide of the target.

Just before the half hour mark a sign of what Sheffield United could do. David McGoldrick picked the ball yup on the edge of the box and curled a beautiful effort just over the bar with David Martin beaten. United came closer a few minutes later Enda Stevens’ cross was deflected but gratefully fell into the hands of David Martin.

HT: Sheffield United 0-0 Millwall

It did not take long before the hosts broke the deadlock in the second half. More sustained pressure, led to some cleaver work from John Fleck, he found Gary Madine who had time and space to cooly convert into the bottom corner.

The game then begun to open up as Millwall came out and attacked their opponents. Neil Harris reverted back to a 4-2-3-1 formation replacing Conor McLaughlin with Ben Marshall. Millwall did have a chance, Ryan Tunnicliffe was set free by Jed Wallace down the right hand side, he found Lee Gregory who was unable to get a shot away.

Millwall introduced Tom Elliott as they went in search of an equaliser. They almost got it. Romeo’s cross was missed by Elliott and fell to Wallace who’s fabulous effort just fizzed over the bar.

There was crazy scenes towards the end. Millwall were awarded a penalty after Tom Elliott’s header was cleared off the line using a hand by John Egan. Egan was sent off and Millwall had a golden chance to equalise. However, Marshall’s penalty hit the bar.

More drama would follow. Millwall threw everyone forward and they were rewarded in the 95th minute. A ball came into the box, Tom Elliott’s header was saved by Johnstone but Cooper was a there bundle an effort over the line to give Millwall a massive and deserved point.

Full Time: Sheffield United 1-1 Millwall


About Author

My name is Alex Grace. I cover Millwall for The72. I am an aspiring football reporter who also works as a freelance. My aim is to cover England at either the Euro's or a World Cup.

Leave A Reply