Charlton Athletic owner Roland Duchatelet has said no to a move for recently released striker Joe Mason, manager Lee Bowyer has revealed.
Charlton Athletic manager Lee Bowyer has told the South London Press that owner Roland Duchatelet has refused to sanction a move for former Wolves striker Joe Mason.
Bowyer had lined up a move for recently released striker Mason, as the Addicks look to bring in another striker to fill the gap left by Karlan Grant, who left for Huddersfield Town in the January transfer window. However, his plans have been blocked by controversial owner Duchatelet.
“He (Mason) is the one that we were looking to bring in,” Bowyer revealed.
“But I got a phone call from Steve Gallen (head of recruitment) literally 10 minutes ago saying the owner said no, we can’t bring in another striker because we’ve got Lyle (Taylor), Josh (Parker) and Igor (Vetokele).”
The striker started his career with fellow League One side Plymouth, joining the club’s academy at the age of nine-years-old in 2000. Mason spent nine years in Argyle’s club academy before signing a professional deal with the Green Army in 2009, making his debut the same year in a clash with Sheffield United.
The striker played 54 games for Argyle, scoring 10 goals before leaving to join Cardiff City at the age of 20.
Since then, he has gone on to play for Wolves permanently, where he was loaned out to Burton Albion, Colorado Rapids and Portsmouth, collecting a total of 56 goals in 265 career games.
Former side Plymouth are also interested in the striker after manager Derek Adams revealed they were in talks over a possible return (see below).
Argyle manager Derek Adams has revealed in press this morning that he's made an offer to bring Joe Mason back to the club in a deal beyond this season, which currently sits with Joe's agent.#pafc
— Plymouth Argyle FC (@Only1Argyle) February 7, 2019
Now, it seems like they are in pole position to seal his signing with Charlton out of the race.