Millwall lost 2-0 to Blackburn at The Den on Saturday evening. The Lions came into the game on the back of four successive wins. 

Match: Millwall 0-2 Blackburn Rovers

Date: Saturday 12th January 2019             Venue: The Den        Att: 13,862

Millwall: Archer, Romeo, Hutchinson, Cooper, Meredith; J Wallace, Tunnicliffe, Leonard, Ferguson; Elliott, O’Brien

Subs: Elliott OFF, Morison ON, O’Brien OFF, Gregory ON, Meredith OFF, Williams ON

Blackburn:  Raya, Reed, Rodwell, Bell, Dack, Nuttal, Lenihan, Travis, Evans, Bennett, Conway

Subs: Conway OFF, Graham ON, Dack OFF, Armstrong ON

The Match

It was a nightmare start for the hosts, within three minutes Tom Elliott had to be substituted after dislocating his shoulder.  He was replaced by Steve Morison.

The games first event came early on, Joe Nuttal got away from Jake Cooper however, his heavy touch meant he lost the ball. In desperation he claimed to been tripped something that did not go down well with the home faithful. He was told so by Lions keeper Jordan Archer. That was all in a truly poor half of football.

Half time arrived with no goals, action or any real talking points. Possibly the only one being the change of referee. Robert Jones pulled his calf and was replaced by fourth official Gavin Ward. He also liked the sound of the whistle like his predecessor.

Half Time: Millwall 0-0 Blackburn

The second half started with the game calling for someone to take it by the scruff on the neck. Safe to say it didn’t happen. The meeting between the two in August finished 0-0. You can see why.

Finally after 61 minutes we had a shot on target. It came from Millwall midfielder Ryan Leonard. A powerful shot from outside the box that produced a simple save from David Raya. Finally some life in the game and something for the fans to get excited about.

Both sides then brought on their star strikers. Danny Graham on for Blackburn, Lee Gregory for Millwall.

A big handball claim from the Lions support was called but nothing was given by the referee. Rovers then replaced Bradley Dack with Adam Armstrong. Dack was marshalled all evening by Ryan Tunnicliffe.

Suddenly the game comes to life. Adam Armstrong who looked offside got in behind Mahlon Romeo and fizzed a ball into the box which Hutchinson bundles into his own net. Although, we need to say it was unfortunate, he could do nothing about it.

A minute later its 2-0, again Armstrong is the difference. He breaks and turns both Hutchinson and Cooper before hitting a shot that goes in off the post to leave Jordan Archer with no chance and seal the three points for Rovers.

Full Time: Millwall 0-2 Blackburn


It was always going to be tight game. The first goal was going to be key. Yes Armstrong may be offside but Mahlon Romeo switches off and allows him in behind. Hutchinson is unlucky with the deflection he can’t do anything about it.

However, for the second both Hutchinson and Cooper are beaten way too easily by Armstrong who sends a curling shot towards the far post. It clips of the post and into the net leaving Archer with no chance.

Neil Harris will be wondering how some of Blackburn’s challenges on his players went unpunished. A double challenge on Mahlon Romeo and Jed Wallace went unpunished as did a crunching challenge on Ryan Leonard.

Overall, it was an awful game of football that the 13,862 fans who came to watch will feel they paid over the odds for. Rovers manager Tony Mowbray summed it up saying “I’m glad I didn’t have to pay to watch that.”