Middlesbrough striker Ashley Fletcher is attracting plenty of attention this month, with many clubs from the Championship looking to sign the 23-year old on loan.

As reported on The72 last week, Hull City were the club looking the most likely destination for Fletcher, but Tigers boss Nigel Adkins has now admitted defeat in the pursuit of the Middlesbrough man.

Speaking in his pre-match press conference ahead of Saturday’s clash with Sheffield Wednesday, Adkins said plainly, “Fletcher isn’t going to happen,”

However, Hull are still looking to sign reinforcements to propel them up the table. They currently sit 13th in the league but are only seven points from the Play Off places.

“We’re still looking to bring another two or three players in” he said.

Adkins also confirmed that no players will be leaving the KCOM this transfer window. “The big news is that we’re not looking to sell any players. The group that we’ve got, we’re not looking for players to leave. Team spirit is really high. Sometimes you can bring too many players in and unsettle everything.

“We’re not looking for players to go, as it stands from a centre-forward point of view, we are looking to bring a player in. We can’t be letting Nouha (Dicko) out without bringing someone in. We did that with Will (Keane, to Ipswich) and thought we had someone and it didn’t come off.”

The72 also reported last week that up to three clubs were interested in Fletcher, so the Middlesbrough forward could still leave before the January 31st deadline.


About Author

Lifelong Boro fan - from the highs of watching Juninho and the Carling Cup victory, to the lows of Gordon Strachan and Lee Dong Gook

Leave A Reply