Barnsley have moved up to 2nd place in League One after beating Luton Town 3-2 at Oakwell this afternoon.

The hosts were without their top scorer, Kieffer Moore, who has ankle ligament damage whilst Kenny Dougall and Adam Davies are both on international duty. Jack Walton, Cameron McGeehan and Jacob Brown were brought into their starting eleven.

Luton made 8 changes from their 3-0 Checkatrade trophy win over MK Dons earlier this week.

Barnsley made a strong start to the game and took the lead on 5 minutes when Brad Potts picked up the ball in the middle of the park, ran at the Luton defence and beat James Shea with a powerful low drive into the corner.

The Tykes almost doubled their lead ten minutes later through Dimitri Cavare but his shot was saved well by Shea to his near post.

Luton started to grow into the game as the first-half developed and thought they’d equalised when Barnsley goalkeeper Jack Walton parried a shot into the path of James Collins who slotted the ball home, only to be ruled offside by the linesman.

The Hatters then had a mountain to climb as the hosts doubled their lead on 26 minutes when George Moncur went on a dazzling run into the box and set up McGeehan who passed the ball into the bottom corner.

Luton were handed a route back into the game though when Harry Cornick won a penalty just before half-time. James Collins stepped up and pulled a goal back for Nathan Jones’ side.

The early stages of the second-half were quiet but Potts nearly bagged his second for Barnsley but his header from Alex Mowatt’s free-kick crashed onto the crossbar.

Daniel Stendel brought on striker Mamadou Thiam on 68 minutes and this turned out to be a crucial decision by the German boss. Thiam fired the Tykes into a 3-1 lead with ten minutes to play through a thunderous strike into the top corner after cutting inside in the box.

Luton brought on their new signing, Kazenga Lualua, who five minutes before time whipped in a dangerous cross that aluded the Barnsley defence and hit the bar. Collins was able to volley the rebound home to make it 3-2 and made it a nervy ending for the Oakwell faithful.  

Stendel’s side were able to hold on and gain a valuable three points to further bolster their promotion push.

About Author

Twitter- @Harry_Mail1.

Leave A Reply