Steve Evans was left annoyed with his Peterborough United side after Blackpool fought back from one goal down on two occasions in a 2-2 draw at London Road this afternoon.

Peterborough United broke the deadlock after 27 minutes, as defender Rhys Bennett scored his first goal for the club from a Sikiri Dembele set piece. Blackpool struck the bar just before half time through a header from Ben Heneghan, and Marc Bola headed over the rebound, sending Posh into half-time with a 1-0 lead.

However, 13 minutes after the restart, Blackpool came forward with an impressive counter-attack, before an offside Armand Gnanduillet tapped in from close range to make the score 1-1. Almost straight after the restart, Posh striker Ivan Toney rattled the crossbar with a powerful striker, almost responding instantly.

However, it wasn’t long before the Posh were back in front. Five minutes later, substitute Mark O’Hara picked up the ball in midfield, and smashed home from 25-yards with a rasping strike.

But once again, their lead didn’t last long. Former Aston Villa striker Nathan Delfouneso produced an impressive strike of his own, finding the corner from the edge of the box after some nice build-up play frmo the Tangerines.

Peterborough United right-back Jason Naismith nearly hauled Posh back ahead. The defender’s effort was brilliantly saved by Blackpool ‘keeper Mark Howard, keeping the scores at 2-2 – and that was how the game finished, much to the disappointment of ‘Posh manager Steve Evans.

He told the Peterborough Telegraph:

“I thought it was offside at the time and the video confirms it.

“It was an easy decision. The assistant referee hasn’t done his job and it’s cost us as we would have won 2-1 without that error,” Evans complained.

“It wasn’t the only reason of course. Our end product wasn’t as good as it has been in recent weeks. We weren’t clinical enough especially in the last 10 minutes or so when we put them under a lot of pressure.

“It’s frustrating of course because we want to entertain our fans with victories. The fans would have been pleased with the commitment and desire of the players, but this was a game we should have won against very good opposition. I don’t think too many would have left the previous home games against Doncaster and Portsmouth and said we deserved to win, but we should have won this game.

“We were comfortable in the first-half despite not playing well. They might have been disappointed to go in behind, but it was a great ball by Siriki Dembele for our goal. It might have been the only thing he did.

“I was trying to change things when they equalised and when we went in front again we should have closed the game down. It was too open for my liking at times.

“Mark O’Hara scored a great goal to get us back in front, but then failed to track a runner enabling them to equalise again.

“Ivan Toney was quiet for 70 minutes but he came alive in the final 20 and really caused them problems. He should have scored when he hit the bar and he and Jason Cummings also pulled the trigger too late when inside the penalty area.

Evans is keen to take the game to Sunderland on Tuesday night, in an early season clash between two promotion hopefuls.

“But we take the point and move on to a game at Sunderland. They are a big club at our level, but we will be treating it as just another away game.”


About Author

Leave A Reply