Ipswich Town striker Jon Walters is set for a long spell on the sidelines after picking up a partial rupture of his achilles in his brief appearance against Bolton Wanderers.

The Ipswich Town official club website revealed that despite not needing surgery, Walters will miss around six months of football after picking up an injury off the bench at the weekend. After a scan at the weekend, the Irishman visited a specialist in London, where he found out the bad news.

Walters commented on his injury on the club website, saying:

“I’m obviously gutted with the news.

“That’s football though. That’s life I suppose as well and while I’m really disappointed, there are a lot of people worse off than me.

“I’ll work hard and get back to fitness as soon as I can. I’ve enjoyed being back here and I want to wish the Club all the best for the rest of the season.”  

Manager Paul Hurst admitted that he made the wrong choice to involve Walters in the game on Saturday, as the Irishman stated he felt he was ready to play after training successfully on Friday afternoon.

The former Shrewsbury manager told iFollow:

“Clearly it was the wrong decision to involve him and I’m the one to make that decision.

“But I think Jon would certainly be the first one to say that he trained yesterday [Friday] and said he felt fine.

“We said we’d look at it again in the morning to see if anything developed overnight and he said he felt fine.

“He’s an experienced pro, I’m sure desperate to be involved, but if he didn’t feel he was right he wouldn’t have put himself up for selection.”

The injury offers an opportunity for fellow new signing Kayden Jackson to continue to make a name for himself in the Championship, after scoring his first goal for the club against Brentford last week.

 


About Author

Leave A Reply