Oldham Athletic produced an incredible late comeback to snatch a 3-3 draw at home to fellow promotion contenders Colchester United.

Frankie Bunn’s starting eleven consisted of Iversen, Hunt, Clarke ©, Edmundson, Taylor, Branger-Engone, Gardner, Missilou, Lang, O’Grady, Surridge. This was an unchanged starting eleven from Oldham’s 0-3 away win at Grimsby Town, but Latics didn’t get going against Colchester United until the substitution of Jose Baxter.

Just 10 minutes in the encounter and there was a controversial decision as Callum Lang found himself running through on goal, only to be wiped out by Colchester United goalkeeper Dillon Barnes. But, referee Anthony Backhouse only deemed it a yellow card offence.

Disaster struck for Latics as Colchester United went ahead when Callum Lang gifted them a corner and Brennan Dickenson’s corner was helped on to the back post for Luke Norris to tap in from six yards (0-1).

Latics almost equalised straight away when Sam Surridge found Chris O’Grady in the box, but Colchester United goalkeeper Dillon Barnes was able to get down low to his right and stop the shot.

Following this, Callum Lang had a header at the back post which was tame and rolled into arms of the goalkeeper before Sammie Szmodics tested Latics goalkeeper Daniel Iversen low to his left.

It was 2-0 soon after half-time as Latics gifted Colchester United another corner after the ball hit Andy Taylor on the back. Latics failed to deal with another Brennan Dickenson corner, giving Harry Pell the chance to drive high into the net from 16 yards (0-2).

Bournemouth loanee Sam Surridge pulled one back for Latics as Dan Gardner played a ball out wide to Andy Taylor, who produced a delightful cross for Surridge to tap into an empty net (1-2).

But Luke Norris struck again when he forced his way into the penalty area and smashed home his sixth goal of the season (1-3).

Latics pulled it back to 3-2 when Dan Gardner lofted a freekick onto the head of Sam Surridge and the striker flicked it into the bottom left-hand corner for his sixth league goal of the season and sparked the comeback once again (2-3).

Latics captain Peter Clarke then attacked Dan Gardner’s corner in the 88 minute later to level the scores as neither side could find the winner (3-3).

Latics remain sixth in League Two  as they look ahead to the trip to Swindon Town next Saturday.

Here is how Oldham Athletic fans reacted to the comeback against Colchester United –




About Author

Leave A Reply