Sky Bet League One club Barnsley have continued their solid start to pre-season with a 7-1 victory over non-league club York City at Bootham Crescent.

The Tykes were 2-0 winners at Gainsborough Trinity on Saturday and Daniel Stendel’s men followed up their maiden pre-season victory with a huge win over York City.

Following an uneventful first 15 minutes, Barnsley twice went close to opening the scoring. First Tom Bradshaw got onto the end of a Zeki Fryers cross but the ball deflected off on-rushing York City goalkeeper Adam Bartlett before looping over the bar. Midfielder Brad Potts then tested Bartlett from 12 yards in a lively start for the men from South Yorkshire.

It was the home side who were to take the lead on 21 minutes with their first shot on goal. Barnsley failed to clear a cut-back from the York City right and veteran striker Jon Parkin headed the ball to fellow frontman Jake Wright who bundled the ball into an empty net.

Nine minutes later, Barnsley came close to levelling matters when a Lloyd Isgrove effort cannoned off the crossbar before Bradshaw again tested Bartlett following some sloppy defending from City defender Hamza Bencherif.

Three goals in four first half minutes then saw the match turn on its head. Barnsley levelled eight minutes before the break when Kieffer Moore’s shot was too hot to handle for home keeper Bartlett and Bradshaw tapped in the rebound for his third goal of pre-season. Bradshaw then turned provider when his dink was met by Potts who fired home before Bartlett fumbled Ryan Hedges’ looping shot to leave Moore with an easy finish.

It could have even been 4-1 to Barnsley before the half time whistle but Liam Lindsay’s header bounced off the bar and was cleared to safety by the York City defence.

Barnsley boss Stendel made 10 changes to his side at the break but the rotation did little to disrupt his side’s momentum with a Mamadou Thiam effort thumping the crossbar just a couple of minutes into the second period.

Alex Mowatt then struck an effort over the bar from range before Barnsley took a 4-1 lead when York City reacted slowly to a throw-in and The Tykes broke away with Victor Adeboyejo scoring with a low effort from the edge of the box.

A rare chance for the home side saw Bencherif’s daisy-cutter fall safely into the hands of Tykes keeper Jack Walton while George Moncur and Jared Bird scuffed shots wide at the other end.

Barnsley were awarded a penalty kick when York City defender Bencherif committed a blatant hand ball, an opportunity which forward Moncur grabbed with both hands when he sent Bartlett the wrong way to score and make it 5-1.

The home side almost fell 6-1 down when a game of attacking pinball saw Mowatt and Thiam’s shots saved by Bartlett before the former fired wide.

It was soon six for The Tykes when Thiam curled in a stunning 18-yard strike across Bartlett into the far corner of the York City net before Dylan Mottley-Henry tapped in a seventh.

Bencherif hacked a Thiam effort off the line following Bartlett’s best efforts to keep the ball out of the net as   Barnsley ended the match 7-1 winners.

The early days of the Stendel era certainly look rosy for Barnsley and their fans who will not be blamed for getting a little bit excited by the deadly attacking display on show at Bootham Crescent.

Barnsley are back in action on Saturday when they travel to The Peninsula Stadium to face National League outfit Salford City.

About Author

I am Dan Pentland and I am a York City season ticket holder and volunteer for men's health charity Prostate Cancer UK. In May 2015, I completed my childhood dream of visiting all 92 Football League grounds. Follow me on Twitter @DanPentlandpcuk and Facebook

Leave A Reply