Sheffield United are keen on a move for Southampton striker Sam Gallagher, as reported by The72 earlier. Here are five things to know about the 22-year-old forward-
1. Allegiance switched- Gallagher represented Scotland at Under-19 level but switched his allegiance to England in February 2014. He has since played for the Three Lions at Under-19 and Under-20 level so far in his career.
2. Started out at Plymouth Argyle- Southampton’s academy is known to produce top talents such as Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott etc. and the Saints spotted Gallagher playing for Plymouth Argyle as a youngster and brought him to St Mary’s in 2006.
3. First-team experience- He has played 18 times for Southampton in the Premier League so far in his career and is highly-rated by the Saints. Gallagher also still has two years left on his current contract with the top flight side so is still an option for them in the future.
4. Championship experience- Gallagher has spent the last three seasons out on loan in the second tier with MK Dons, Blackburn Rovers and Birmingham City and all were in relegation battles. He could not prevent Blackburn from relegation in 2016 but helped Birmingham stay up last season.
5. Birmingham’s top scorer- He was the Blues’ top scorer in the last campaign with 6 league goals and was a key player for them as they avoided relegation to the third tier. Gallagher has proven that he can be a handful to Championship defences and would be a decent signing for Sheffield United this summer if they can pull if off.