Oldham Athletic’s hard fought point against Doncaster Rovers lifts them out of the relegation zone with one game left to play.

Oldham boss Richie Wellens made a number of changes to the side which lost to Southend United on Tuesday night, with Nepomuceno, Pringle and Benyu coming into the starting eleven.

Darren Ferguson handed youngster Danny Amos his first league start for Doncaster Rovers.

Doncaster Rovers created the first chance of the game as Amos’s corner was met by the head of Andy Butler, but the defender could not place his header on target.

The first chance of the game for Oldham came as Jack Byrne threaded a through ball to Duckens Nazon but the striker’s effort was held by the goalkeeper.

Following this, Nazon has effort towards goal but was blocked and it fell to Byrne who had a chance from 25 yards which hit a Doncaster Rovers player on route to goal.

Doncaster Rovers fought back and could have taken the lead after 16 minutes when a ball across the box by Blair in the direction of Marquis looked to be heading into the back of the net, but a last-ditch challenge from the impressive Tom Hamer kept the scores level.

Doncaster were growing into the game and forced errors from Latics. But, Latics still threatened going forward as Ben Pringle crossed for Doyle but the striker’s header went inches wide of the post.

Doncaster Rovers thought they went ahead on 36 minutes when a precise through ball by Andy Williams found strike partner Marquis, who drilled the ball into the bottom right-hand corner of Johny Placide’s goal, but the linesman had his flag up and the goal didn’t count.

Just before half time, Oldham were almost ahead as Nazon managed to lay the ball back to Byrne six yards from goal who directed the ball on target but Doncaster cleared inside their box.

Half Time – Oldham Athletic 0-0 Doncaster Rovers

The hosts were right out of the block after the break and could have found themselves in front after 49 minutes when a through ball found Ben Pringle, whose effort looked to be putting Richie Wellens’ side one-up before it was blocked by Mathieu Baudry.

Nazon forced a save from Ian Lawlor on 53 minutes and then from the rebound he curled inches wide from 25 yards.

Latics were building momentum, Gevaro Nepomuceno crossed into the box for Doyle but a hand from Lawlor took the ball off the striker’s head.

The influence of substitute Alfie Beestin lifted Doncaster Rovers just after the hour mark and he was involved from the start of his introduction, his pass teed up Ben Whiteman, but he could not find the target.

Hunt put a cross in from the right but it was over the head of Davies whilst minutes later, Latics substitute Patrick McEleney raced into the penalty area but could not cut the ball back for Nazon waiting in the area and the game finished 0-0.

Full Time – Oldham Athletic 0-0 Doncaster Rovers

Oldham Athletic – Placide, Hunt, Hamer, Edmundson, Nepomuceno, Gardner, Pringle (64’), Benyu, Byrne (75’), Nazon, Doyle.

Subs – De La Paz, Wilson, Stott, Obadeyi, Holloway, McEleney (75′), Davies (64′).

Doncaster Rovers – Lawlor, McCullough (May 74’), Baudry, Butler, Mason, Marquis, Williams (Beestin 62’), Whiteman, Houghton, Blair (Kongolo 71’), Amos.

Subs – Marosi, Alcock, Anderson, Kiwomya, Kongolo (71′), Beestin (62′), May (74′).

Attendance: 5,297 (770 visiting supporters)

About Author

Leave A Reply