Oldham Athletic were well beaten by Southend United, which has sunk Latics into the relegation zone with two games left to play.

Oldham manager Richie Wellens opted to make two changes to the side which drew 2-2 against AFC Wimbledon last weekend.

He made one enforced change as Brian Wilson replaced Anthony Gerrard whilst Jack Byrne replaced Tope Obadeyi.

Whereas Chris Powell made four changes, with Mantom, Harrison, Kyprianou and Cox coming into the side following a series of injuries to the squad.

After just five minutes it was a nightmare start for Oldham as they went a goal down. A corner into the box was headed onto the post, with Robinson then on hand to score the rebound from close range and put the visitors ahead (0-1).

Although, Latics did respond with two efforts of their own, first Craig Davies flicked into the path of Eoin Doyle but the striker’s effort went wide of the post.

Moments later, Davies again flicked the ball down but this time to Duckens Nazon who put his strike wide of the goal.

Just quarter of an hour in Southend nearly made it two, following some excellent link up play by Theo Robinson down the right wing, which saw the latter cross the ball into the penalty area, however, McLaughlin’s effort went central and Oldham goalkeeper Johny Placide managed to save the effort with his feet.

Oldham’s top goalscorer Eoin Doyle thought he had put Latics back on level terms on 27 minutes when he headed towards goal, but former Oldham goalkeeper Mark Oxley made a crucial save.

Latics thought they had equalised before half-time as Byrne and Doyle exchanged a one-two on the edge of the box. Doyle met a Byrne cross with an outstretched leg but could hit the target and went out for a goal kick.

Half Time – Oldham Athletic 0-1 (Robinson 5′) Southend United 

Oldham boss Wellens decided to bring on Aaron Holloway in place of Craig Davies at half-time.

Once again Byrne and Doyle combined on the edge of the box, Doyle shot but yet again his shot was kept out by the impressive Oxley.

Following this pressure it was Southend United who increased their lead.

A quick counter which was set up by Theo Robinson who slid a great ball into Simon Cox, who’s first effort was blocked, however, the ball fell back kindly, and he slotted the ball into the bottom right-hand corner (0-2).

Things went from bad to worse for Oldham as moments later, Southend made it 3-0 as Simon Cox completed a quick-fire double, as McLaughlin went down the left wing and crossed a perfectly weighted ball to Cox at the back post who chested the ball down and fired in from close range (0-3).

Latics almost managed to get back into the game immediately as Doyle’s cross found Holloway unmarked six yards out but the striker could not convert.

Oldham substitute Jonathan Benteke cut in from the left and curled an effort goalwards but it went wide of the post.

Nepomuceno went clean through right at the death for Latics but was only able to hit the post.

Latics had a few chances late on but it wasn’t to be, a huge blow in their battle to avoid relegation for Latics, with two massive games left to play.

Full Time – Oldham Athletic 0-3 Southend United (Robinson 5’, Cox 52’, 56’)

Oldham Athletic –  Placide, Wilson, Edmundson, Hamer, Hunt, Fane (60’), Gardner, Byrne, Nazon (83’), Doyle, Davies (46’).

Subs – De La Paz, Stott, Pringle, Obadeyi, Nepomuceno (83′), Benteke (60′), Holloway (46′).

Southend United – Oxley, Cox, McLaughlin (90+3’), Yearwood, Mantom, Harrison (83’), Demetriou, Kyprianou, Robinson (69’), Bwomono, White.

Subs – Kightly, Fortune, Bishop, Mitchell-Nelson, Gard (90+3′), McGlashan (83′), Ladapo (69′).

Attendance: 3,362 (125 visiting supporters)

About Author

Leave A Reply