Latics had to come from behind twice to earn a hard fought point at relegation rivals AFC Wimbledon.

Oldham manager Richie Wellens opted for pace in his side against AFC Wimbledon as he named Duckens Nazon and Tope Obadeyi on the wings, with Craig Davies and Eoin Doyle partnered in attack.

As for AFC Wimbledon, Neal Ardley was forced to make two changes to his starting line-up with Harry Forrester and Tom Soares both missing out due to injury. That meant recalls for Andy Barcham and Jimmy Abdou.

It was a quiet start, until disaster struck for Oldham only 10 minutes into the game.

AFC Wimbledon opened the scoring from a goal from Jon Meades as he fired home to put his side ahead (1-0).

Dons forward Lyle Taylor had an effort saved minutes later as Latics needed a response to the early set back.

At this stage, Oldham’s defence struggling to cope with Barcham and Taylor. Taylor almost got on the end of a long ball, but Placide got there first, but Joe Pigott was unable to get enough on his chip from the follow-up.

Oldham felt they should have been awarded a penalty midway through the half as a cross from Gardner found Davies who looked to be bundled to the ground but the referee waved away protests.

Latics winger Tope Obadeyi had two chances before the interval but neither tested goalkeeper George Long.

Half Time – AFC Wimbledon (Meades 10′) 1-0 Oldham Athletic 

During the break Wellens opted to bring on midfielder Jack Byrne for Tope Obadeyi, which turned out to be game changing.

Oldham managed to equalise just 5 minutes into the second half, courtesy of Wolves loanee Duckens Nazon.

It came from youngster Tom Hamer’s long throw which caused endless problems for the AFC Wimbledon defence, and it broke for Nazon who fired home from 12 yards (1-1).

All of a sudden, the pendelum was swinging Oldham’s way and a difficult spell for the Dons followed.

AFC Wimbledon had to show plenty of resilience to deal with several dangerous set-pieces in the next 10 minutes and Latics substitute Jack Byrne also fired just wide with a powerful drive from just outside the box.

But it was AFC Wimbledon who managed to restore their lead despite being under relentless pressure.

Meades did well on the left to win the ball ahead of two Oldham players and he rolled the ball back to Pigott who converted into an empty goal (2-1).

Although, Latics wasn’t behind for long as they equalised five minutes later through Nazon again.

Doyle found the Haitian striker on the edge of the box and he found the bottom corner from 18 yards to level for a second time in the game (2-2).

It was an anxious end to this game for AFC Wimbledon as Oldham threatened to take all three points. The Dons were left off when Nazon’s effort was just deflected wide after Aaron Amadi-Holloway’s header went right across the face of goal.

In injury-time, Lyle Taylor almost had the ball in the back of the net after getting on the end of a cross, but it just about missed the target.

Latics pushed forward in the dying minutes of the game but couldn’t find a winner, meaning the game finished 2-2.

Full Time – AFC Wimbledon (Meades 10’, Pigott 68’) 2-2 Oldham Athletic (Nazon 50’, 74’)

AFC Wimbledon –  Long, Fuller, Maedes, Oshilaja, Charles, Parrett, Abdou, Trotter (66’), Barcham (66’), Taylor, Pigott (76’).

Subs – McDonnell, Robinson, Sam, Kaja, Kennedy (66′), Francomb (66′), Appiah (76′).

Oldham Athletic – Placide, Hunt, Gerrard (78’), Edmundson, Hamer, Fane, Gardner, Obadeyi (46’), Nazon, Davies (62’), Doyle.

Subs – De La Paz, Nepomuceno, Pringle, Benteke, Wilson (78′), Byrne (46′), Holloway (62′).

Attendance: 4,850 (476 visiting supporters)

About Author

Leave A Reply