Oldham goalkeeper Johny Placide became the hero as he saved a first half penalty from Joe Rafferty to secure a point on the road against local rivals Rochdale.

Latics manager Richie Wellens handed Tom Hamer his first league start as he replaced Wilfried Moimbe who missed the game through suspension.

Ian Henderson and Mark Kitching dropped out of the starting line-up for Rochdale, with Bradden Inman and Joe Thompson coming in.

It was a scrappy encounter, played in front of a powder-keg atmosphere at Spotland mostly generated by a raucous 3,000 visiting Oldham supporters, that neither side deserved to win.

Latics started the half the stronger of the two sides and enjoyed the early possession.

However, they did not really create a clear cut effort with striker Doyle lurking in and around the box.

Callum Camps saw a dipping volley drop just over the top of the crossbar after a fine solo run from Bradden Inman, before Calvin Andrew got a slight connecetion on an Ollie Rathbone cross when in a good position.

Placide had to paw a Calvin Andrew header off the line to keep it goalless on 20 minutes, Anthony Gerrard’s slip allowing Matt Done to reach the byline and deliver.

Gerrard was beaten to the ball by Joe Thompson and punished for tripping the midfielder.

Latics won a couple of corners but were met by a stubborn Rochdale defence who refused to be beaten.

Just after the half hour mark, Rochdale were awarded a penalty as Gerrard fouled Thompson in the penalty area.

After a lengthy delay due a supporter entering the pitch are running towards the referee Peter Bankes, Rafferty then stepped up for Rochdale but Placide guessed the right way and tipped his penalty wide of the post.

Dale ended the half in the ascendancy with Ollie Rathbone’s volley taking a deflection and dropping to safety, Thompson also seeing a goalbound shot blocked.

Half Time – Rochdale 0-0 Oldham Athletic 

Athletic needed a response after the break but it was Rochdale again who had the early second half chances.

Thompson could not guide a cut back on target whilst minutes later, Done had a header at the back post which went wide.

Rob Hunt and Thompson went into the book minutes later, as well as Edmundson who conceded a free kick on the half way line.

Wellens introduced Patrick McEleney and Aaron Amadi-Holloway to turn the tide, the former breaking into the box down the right and stabbing over the bar.

Predictably, protagonists Placide and Andrew were involved in a flashpoint on 70 minutes when the striker bundled in at the far post but was ruled to have impeded the Frenchman.

Clear cut chances were at a minimum with Latics forced to shoot from long range as Gardner saw an effort fly wide from 30 yards.

The midfielder was fortunate to stay on the field as, already on a booking, he barged into Rathbone who raced from midfield but the referee kept his cards in his pocket.

It was an end to end finish to the game Inman fired over inside the penalty area a minute before the end but Latics had the better chances in the four minutes of additional time.

In the final minute of additional time, Placide’s long ball found the head of Holloway who nodded into the path of Doyle but he fired over as the points were shared.

Full Time – Rochdale 0-0 Oldham Athletic

Rochdale Lillis, Rafferty (87’), McNulty, McGahey, Andrew, Camps, Rathbone, Thompson (69’), Done, Inman, Delaney.

Subs – Ntlhe, Moore, Adshead, Kitching, Gillam, Wiseman (87′), Humphrys (69′).

Oldham Athletic – Placide, Hunt, Gerrard, Edmundson, Hamer, Fane, Gardner, Pringle (59’), Byrne (66’), Nazon (77’), Doyle.

Subs – De La Paz, Nepomuceno, Benyu, Benteke, McEleney (59′), Obadeyi (77′), Holloway (66′).

Attendance: 6,261 (2,827 visiting supporters)

About Author

Leave A Reply