Oldham Athletic were denied a massive 3 points against Gillingham as they conceded a controversial stoppage time equaliser at Boundary Park.

Oldham manager Richie Wellens named an unchanged squad to the side which drew 1-1 with Walsall on Wednesday night.

Steve Lovell named the same starting XI that drew 0-0 with Blackburn Rovers midweek with Conor Wilkinson continuing in attack alongside Josh Parker.

Latics had chances in the early stages of the game, with both Patrick McEleney and Eoin Doyle threatening for the home side.

Scott Wagstaff had Gillingham’s first attempt on goal when his left-footed effort cleared the post by a yard, while at the other end Jack Byrne was comfortably denied by Holy when his tame effort inside the penalty area was an easy enough stop for the keeper.

The Gills started to up the pressure as Conor Wilkinson skipped past his man in the penalty box but Placide made the front post save, whilst Rob Hunt managed to block Josh Parker from following up the effort.

IN OTHER NEWS:  Brentford plotting move for former Newcastle United striker

On 32 minutes it was Oldham’s turn to go close when Jack Byrne drove forward and spotted the run of Doyle through the centre, his pass split the Gills defence and the striker was just about to pull the trigger when Gabriel Zakuani came in with an excellent tackle to stop what could have been the opening goal of the game.

Oldham then found their feet again as the half entered the closing stages, with George Edmundson having a header brilliantly kept out by Holy.

IN OTHER NEWS:  Leeds man finally on his way out of the club- announcement imminent.

That opening goal did manage to come before the break and it was a second goal in as many games for Nazon.

The striker took on his man in the penalty box and unleashed a fierce strike which flew past Holy into the bottom corner (1-0).

Half Time – Oldham Athletic (Nazon 45′) 1-0 Gillingham 

Gillingham nearly got a goal straight after the restart, with Wilkinson firing just inches wide of the net from the edge of the box.

Doyle and Jack Byrne nearly linked up on 56 minutes to find a second goal for the Latics. A clever inward pass found the striker in space but his resulting shot lacked power and Holy gathered.

Gillingham made a double switch just before the hour mark and brought on former Latics striker Eaves and Luke O’Neill.

IN OTHER NEWS:  Two Blackburn Rovers players "very close" to full fitness ahead of Cardiff City clash

Eaves was straight into the action and crossed for Jake Hessenthaler six yards from goal. His header looked destined for the goal but Placide managed to make a superb save on the line to deny the midfielder levelling.

Wellens brought on fresh legs as his team looked to hold onto their lead, with Gevaro Nepomuceno replacing McEleney with around 20 minutes to go.

Oldham had a good chance to extend their lead in the final 15 minutes when Jack Byrne found Doyle racing into the box, but the Latics striker could only fire wide.

It was a nervy last 15 minutes for Latics who had to withstand a lot of pressure.

But in stoppage time Gillingham were awarded a controversial penalty to the amazement of everyone in the stadium, due to an alleged off the ball incident involving Moimbe.

After a lengthy stoppage, Eaves stepped up and despite Placide diving the right way, it went into the corner to equalise.

Full Time – Oldham Athletic (Nazon 45’) 1-1 Gillingham (Eaves 90+2’)

Oldham Athletic – Placide, Moimbe, Gerrard, Edmundson, Hunt, Fane, Gardner, McEleney (69’), Byrne, Nazon (84’), Doyle (90+2’).

Subs – De La Paz, Pringle, Obadeyi, Benteke, Nepomuceno (69′), Hamer (90+2), Holloway (84′).

Gillingham – Holy, Garmston (73’), Ehmer, Zakuani, Wagstaff, Hessenthaler, Wilkinson (58’), Parker, Nugent (58’), Reilly, Byrne.

Subs – Hadler, Ogilvie, Stevenson, Nasseri, O’Neill (58′), List (73′), Eaves (58′)

Attendance: 3,850 (215 visiting supporters)

About Author