Oldham Athletic made to settle for a point away from home as they were held to a goalless draw against fellow strugglers Oxford United.

There was one change to the starting XI for Oxford, with the irrepressible Ricardinho replacing Agon Mehmeti on the left of a 4-1-4-1 formation and Jon Obika leading the line and doing all he could to bring others into play.

Oldham manager Richie Wellens made two changes to the side which beat Blackpool on Easter Monday as Jack Byrne returned to the starting 11.

Latics lined up in a 4-2-3-1 formation with Eoin Doyle at the heart of the attack and they almost fell behind in the opening five minutes of the game.

Oxford were nearly gifted a goal early on when a mistake from Kean Bryan resulted in James Henry sending a dangerous cross into the box, but the Latics defender recovered to prevent Jonathan Obika from scoring.

After that, it was a quiet opening to the game, however, on 17 minutes, Latics were forced into an early change as Bryan went off injured and was replaced by second year youth scholar Hamer.

Latics thought they should have had a penalty on 27 minutes when Wilfried Moimbe appeared to be pushed over in the box, but referee Eddie Ilderton waved away the protests.

Wellens’ men grew into the half and finished strongly, forcing a number of chances.

Byrne saw an effort fly over the crossbar from 25 yards on 37 minutes, whilst minutes later, Obadeyi played the ball into the box for Moimbe racing in at the back post but the full back could not connect with the ball.

The visitors went close to opening the scoring again when Jack Byrne’s strike was cleared off the line in first half stoppage time.

Half Time – Oxford United 0-0 Oldham Athletic 

Both sides had chances after the break as Obadeyi looped a header on to the roof of the goal whilst at the other end, Ryan Ledson’s effort cannoned into the path of Wes Thomas to shoot but he volleyed wide.

United pressed for all they were worth and the excellent Dickie, who improves game on  game, almost found the opener with a flying header which Latics keeper Johny Placide somehow kept out as the game slipped into the final half hour.

Richie Wellens turned to his bench as he tried to find a winner during the closing stages, bringing on Duckens Nazon in place of Obadeyi.

After being turned down for a penalty in the first half, Latics felt they had a stronger case for a spot kick on 75 minutes.

Rob Hunt made an excellent run into the box, received the ball but appeared to be fouled by Henry but the referee gave nothing.

Latics pushed forward late on as they tried to find a winner, even bringing on Aaron Holloway in place of Doyle, but it wasn’t to be, with the game finishing 0-0.

Full Time – Oxford United 0-0 Oldham Athletic 

Oxford United – Eastwood, Ledson, Brannagan, Ruffels (29’), Dickie, Henry, Rothwell, Kane, Obika, Ricardinho, Mousinho.

Subs – Shearer, Martin, Mehmeti, Smith-Brown, Napa, Buckley-Ricketts (29′, 46′), Thomas (46′)

Oldham Athletic – Placide, Hunt, Edmundson, Bryan (18’), Moimbe, Fane, Gardner, Obadeyi (68’), Byrne, McEleney, Doyle (88’).

Subs – De La Paz, Nepomuceno, Pringle, Benteke, Hamer (18′), Nazon (68′), Holloway (88′).

Attendance: 7,906 (492 visiting supporters)

About Author

Leave A Reply