Earlier today Belgian side OH Leuven, who play in the Proximus League – Belgium’s second-tier, released former Charlton and Celtic striker Tony Watt.
Watt, who had been at Leuven, managed by Nigel Pearson, since mid-August last year was released after struggling to gain any game time with the Belgian side. Up to his leaving Leuven, the 24-year-old featured in just 11 games in the league and scored one goal. Watt added to this with one appearance and a goal in the Beker van Belgie – the Belgian cup.
Announcing his departure, Leuven said on their website that “OHL and Tony Watt bid farewell to each other,” the Belgian side saying that the reason for leaving was one of mutual termination of contract.
The Belgian side went on to say that, “We thank Tony for his efforts and wish him every success with the rest of his career.” Watt himself commented further on his personal Twitter account saying the following:
One chapter closed. Another one opens. Thank you @ohl_official for the time I spent! Unfortunately I never played much football when the new manager came in but we left it on good terms. That’s football. I’ll have time to see my next step now! 👋🏻👌🏼 pic.twitter.com/kSAFCcMn9n
— Tony Watt (@Tony_Watt7) February 12, 2018
The Daily Record say that the nine-club striker, who is most famous for scoring the winner for Celtic against Barcelona, is on his way back to Scotland. However, as Watt himself says he’ll “have time to see my next step.”
The reason that he’ll “have time” is due to the fact that he featured twice for Charlton ahead of his move out to Belgium with OH Leuven. Those two game, a 20 minute League One appearance against Bristol Rovers and a 67 minute Carabao Cup appearance against Exeter City mean that the one-time Scotland international cannot play again this season for a third club.