With the departure of Harry Redknapp from Birmingham City after Saturday’s defeat to Preston, the Blues find themselves looking for another manager after 1 win in 8 games. Here are 5 contenders for the hot seat-
1. Lee Carsley- The 43 year-old has been placed in temporary charge at St. Andrews. He used to play for the Blues and also had spells with Everton and Coventry as a player. As a coach, he has worked at Coventry, Sheffield United, Brentford, England U21, Manchester City and then as a youth coach at Birmingham.
2. Aitor Karanka- The former Real Madrid assistant manager gained promotion from the Championship with Middlesbrough in the 2015/16 season. He has been looking for a club since being sacked by Boro last season in the Premier League.
3. Steve Cotterill- He worked as a coach for Harry Redknapp for the last 3 games of last season. He is now in the frame for the manager’s job. The 53 year-old has previously managed Burnley, Portsmouth, Nottingham Forest and Bristol City.
4. Alan Pardew- The former Newcastle and Crystal Palace manager has been linked with many Championship jobs since being sacked by Palace last season. Could this be the job he finally gets?
5. Nigel Pearson- The 54 year-old had a tough spell at Derby last season but is in the frame for the Blues’ job. He has bags of Championship experience after spells at Hull City and Leicester City. He guided Leicester to the Premier League and kept them up the season after, the same team that went onto win the title under Claudio Ranieri.