Despite receiving riches upon Premier League promotion, Newcastle United are still, to some degree, watching the pennies so that they don’t end up wasting the pounds at St James’ Park.
With news coming through from various sources, such as the Northern Echo, that the Magpies might be considering pulling the plug on a deal for Pepe Reina, the Toon are said to be entertaining a cheaper option for a new keeper.
Napoli’s Reina is in the last year of his contract with the Serie A club but the Echo report that Napoli “are thought to be seeking between £4-5m to let him go,” a fee Newcastle are thought to see as excessive when his age and wage demands are included.
It is already though that Reina would demand something in the region of around £65,000-per-week, not out of the reach of the Tynesiders. However, coupled with a large fee, Newcastle are said to be looking at cheaper options – one of those put forward by the Echo is Manchester City’s Argentinian back-up Willy Caballero.
Cabellero, who will be a free agent when the summer transfer window opens on July 1, joined Manchester City from Spanish La Liga side Malaga for a fee of £6.6 million during the opening throes of the 2014 summer transfer window on July 8.
Whilst only featuring 23 times in the Premier League over his three seasons at the Etihad, he did feature in five of City’s Champions League fixtures this season, conceding 11 times. As well as a ‘cheaper option’, Caballero is one who comes with a fair deal of experience to complement the cheaper financial side of the deal.
The Echo go on to say that “pure fact that Caballero is also under consideration, though, highlights the Newcastle manager’s desire to strengthen in that area of the squad.”