There will be a lot said about Huddersfield Town’s promotion to next season’s Premier League. Pundits will already have them marked down amongst the favourites for instant relegation back to the Sky Bet Championship.
Whatever happens though, no one can take away that sense of achievement that Terriers fans will be feeling right now. After 49 games, starting with a 2-1 home win against Brentford with goals for Elias Kachunga and Chelsea loanee Kasey Palmer and finishing when Christopher Schindler lashed in the winning penalty at Wembley this afternoon.
Forget the detractors that are flooding Twitter with tales of ‘minus 2 goal difference’ and ‘didn’t score a goal in normal time in play-offs’, that cheapens the achievement of what Huddersfield Town have managed over the course of this season – the Sky Bet Championship 2016/17 campaign.
Whatever happens next season, that season will be etched into the annals of Huddersfield Town’s history. It is the first time that Huddersfield have been in the top flight since 1972, a span of 45 years and you have to go back to 1926 for the last time they won the old Division 1 title.
No one can predict what will happen next season, but here’s a look back at what was happening back in 1972 and 1926
Flashback to 1972
- It was the longest year ever after two leap seconds were added to the 366-day year. this has not been repeated since.
- The first scientific hand-held calculator, the HP-35, was released. It cost $395.
- Japanese soldier Shoichi Yokoi is discovered in the Guam jungle where he’d spent 28 years since WWII.
- The film The Godfather has its première.
- The last trolleybus system in the UK closes in Bradford.
- The iconic photograph of Phan Thi Kim Phuc naked after napalm burns is taken by Nick Ut.
- The Watergate Scandal is unearthed that helped bring down the Presidency of Richard Nixon.
- Eight members of the terrorist group Black September storm the Olympic Village in Munich, killing eleven Israeli athletes.
- TV series M*A*S*H begins.
- The last guillotine executions are carried out in Paris.
- Huddersfield Town are relegated from the old Division 1 after finishing bottom on 22 points. They won just six games all season, scoring 27 times and conceding on 59 occasions.
Flashback to 1926
- The German airline Lufthansa was formed in Berlin
- Land on Broadway and Wall Street in New York was sold at $7 per square inch
- Queen Elizabeth II born as Princess Elizabeth Alexandra Mary Windsor
- General Strike begins in the UK and Martial law is declared
- Gertrude Ederle is the first woman to swim the English Channel
- Gene Tunney defeats Jack Dempsey to become heavyweight boxing champion of the world
- Winnie the Pooh was first published
- Magician and escapologist Harry Houdini dies of gangrene poisoning
- Emperor Hirohito begins his 63-year reign
- Huddersfield town win the Division 1 championship for a third consecutive season. They win 23 games, scoring 92 goals and conceding on 60 occasions.