Like a football version of a lovelorn girl picking petals from a flower saying “he loves me, he loves me not,” there’s the linked interest between Massimo Cellino and Italian side Brescia – interest that has resurfaced according to website Calcio Finanza.

It is widely accepted that Cellino’s rocky tenure at Elland Road is coming to an end, that the Italian dubbed the ‘King of Corn’ will sell his remaining 50% stake in Leeds and leave Andrea Radrizzani as the club’s sole custodian.

Calcio Finanza say that a portion of his monies received will be used by Massimo Cellino to buy Italian side Brescia, a rumour that simply refuses to go away. The link between Brescia and supposed interest from Cellino is a link that stretches back to November 2016, and resurfaced as recently as the end of February this year.

Calcio Finanza say that “Cellino had approached Bonometti (Brescia’s owner) in recent months with a proposal of 5 million euros,” but that figure is thought to be nowhere near enough to secure a majority deal that the still Leeds United co-owner envisages taking. The article announcing his latest interest in Brescia says that a figure of “around 10 million, in short, could come to a decisive handshake.”

Massimo Cellino is looking to take a 60% interest in Brescia, the other 40% remaining with Marco Bonometti – current Brescia owner. Calcio Finanza say that Cellino would be “willing to pay 5 million euros for the capital increase,” as well as taking on a seven-and-a-half million Euro debt that is still owed to the tax authorities.

Leeds fans comment on ‘another’ Cellino to Brescia link

The reaction from Leeds fans regarding Massimo Cellino goes both ways really. There are some who want him to stay at Elland Road, lauding him as the saviour of the club. Others see what he has done to the club, the way he’s dragged the club’s name through courts and tribunals, and shudder that he may leave a lingering, advisory position at the club.

What is safe to say though is that Cellino’s leaving will hopefully open up a brand new avenue in Leeds United’s future – a future made brighter by the recent calmness of this season and the much improved results that nearly led to a play-off place for the Whites.

However, as brighter avenues open up for Leeds United fans, it appears that these fans fear darker paths for Brescia are ahead. And as this Brescia fan fears, they will be powerless in the face of any shenanigans that Massimo Cellino may have still dormant in his armoury.

Original source: Calcio Finanza (Italian)


About Author

Cynicism turned to optimism but without the woop woops and ringing bells. Leeds United supporter through thick and thin, more thin than anything recently. Write mainly about the Whites but turn my hand to other clubs. lover of salted crisp sandwiches. Not a hipster.