Two out of the three West Yorkshire sides in action this weekend won, with only Huddersfield Town not picking up all three points.

Leeds United grabbed their third win in four matches as they won away at struggling Birmingham City. It was the hosts, in fact, who took control of the first half, but they could not find the cutting edge to take the lead. Leeds United punished them for this on 58 minutes, when Matt Smith’s header beat Darren Randolph in the Birmingham net, and went in. United doubled their lead just two minutes later, through Danny Pugh’s rifled shot, and went 3-0 up with twelve minutes to go when defender Paul Caddis put the ball in his own net. Former Manchester United striker Federico Macheda grabbed one back for the hosts, but it was nothing more than a consolation goal, and victory for Leeds sees them sit 15th in the Championship table.

Bradford City also picked up all three points, as they beat Crawley Town 2-1 at Valley Parade. There were no real chances of note in the first half, but Aaron McLean gave the Bantams the lead on 49 minutes. Nathan Doyle’s lobbed through ball fell kindly for McLean, who produced an impressive volley to take the lead. Their lead was to last just 16 minutes, however, when Jamie Proctor equalised for Crawley. A defensive mix up saw Proctor chip the ball over Jon McLaughlan, and put the game back on even terms. Bradford’s last home game of the season was to end with a victory, however, when Garry Thompson scored what turned out to be the winner on 85 minutes. A Gary Jones corner was swung to the near post, and the ball came off the back of Thompson, who claimed the goal. Bradford now have 56 points for this season, and sit 13th in the League One table.

Huddersfield Town lost 2-0 at home to champions Leicester City, in a game that meant little for either side. Huddersfield were already guaranteed of their Championship status before kick-off, whilst the visitors were guaranteed the title. It was former Terriers forward Gary Taylor-Fletcher who broke the deadlock after half an hour, with a curling effort, and Wes Morgan put the game beyond doubt in the second half with a tap in. The game meant very little for either side, and defeat for Huddersfield sees them sit 17th in the Championship table.

About Author