Swindon Town are already struggling in the Sky Bet League One, but things have taken a turn for the worse off-the-field as Tim Sherwood has received a two-game stadium ban following an incident.

The Swindon Director of Football reportedly called referee Mark Brown a “f***ing mug” not once, but twice in an expletive-ridden rant.

Town are fighting against relegation from the second tier of the English Football League, but Sherwood – who has found his spell at the County Ground difficult to say the least – has received a strong punishment from the Football Association.

The incident happened at half-time during the loss at Bury on 11th February.

Whistler Brown penalised Raphael Branco for supposedly pulling his opponent’s shirt, which gave the Shakers a penalty-kick, however Sherwood angrily opposed the decision.

In the written report of the events that afternoon, Brown stated that: After the half time whistle, and as I was walking down the tunnel Tim Sherwood of Swindon Town approached me and said “You’re the only f***** in the ground that’s f***ing seen it you f***ing mug”. He then started pointing aggressively in my face.

“I told him to calm down and stop pointing at me or he would be sitting in the stands for the second half. He then continued “I wasn’t even in the dugout you f***ing mug and you would be doing me a favour.” the report continued.

“I told him I wanted to speak to him at my dressing room but he ignored me and walked off towards the Swindon changing room. I followed him and stood outside and told the coaching staff I wanted Mr Sherwood to come outside as I needed to speak to him.”

“After approx 45 seconds Mr Sherwood walked out and walked past me and I informed him ‘that he would be reported for his comments towards me.”

“His reply was “f*** off you mug”. I then entered my dressing room area and informed the stewards of my decision and that if Mr Sherwood tries to come down into the technical area he should not be allowed.”

The FA’s disciplinary panel charged Sherwood with misconduct, which he admitted, banned the Englishman for two games and fined the former Tottenham manager £2,000.

The two games which Sherwood missed, away to Coventry and at home against Gillingham, the Robins won. And following his return to the stands, they have lost in four consecutive matches, leaving the seven points adrift of safety.

About Author

Just another long-time suffering Ipswich Town supporter and secondary school student.