Nottingham Forest manager Stuart Pearce has expressed his anger at the sales of Jamaal Lascelles and Karl Darlow to Newcastle United, reports The Nottingham Post.
The former England full-back has suggested that the deals for the two 20-year-old’s was done behind his back, and that he would not have sold at the reported price of £5m-£7m that Newcastle United are said to have paid.
Pearce told the newspaper: “We had an offer from Newcastle, that I was made aware of last week, in regards to the two players going there.
“The figures that were mentioned, by the representative of our club – I said I would not do that deal, when I was asked the question,” the new Forest manager said.
“I thought I could push their value up and that they would be worth more in the long run.
“The first I heard today about things was when Jamaal Lascelles came in and told me that he had a medical at 2pm at Newcastle.
“That disappointed me greatly.”
Despite this Pearce maintains that he still has a good relationship with the club’s owner Fawaz Al Hasawi but felt it was right to tell the fans about the situation.
“I do not agree with it. But the only olive branch I have got is that the boys are both coming back on a year loan, which is a bonus.
“But I felt that, if they stayed at the club, they would only have increased in value.”
Nottingham Forest kick off their campaign on Saturday at home to Blackpool.